Monday, February 18, 2013

For Mommy Nature

I chanced upon a video on Facebook earlier today. I couldn't find the exact one on YouTube, so here's a news clip:


 


This, my friends, is solid proof of  how far we've gone. If this won't wake you up on how plastic and pollution affect everything on this planet, I don't know what will. Maybe try choking on a few bottle caps yourself, see how that feels.


I've been an environmentalist for as long as I can remember. When people I know throw candy wrappers and all sorts of plastic carelessly around, I either give them the stink eye, tell them off until they pick their trash up, or I do it for them and throw it myself. I go to the extent of picking up little random bits of plastic on the street and throwing them in proper waste baskets when I can. I don't care if that seems icky; you can always wash your hands, anyways.


During runs, I only drink from water stations when I really feel the need to. I make sure I either carry my plastic cup all the way to the finish line with me, or wait until I see a trash can to throw it in. My dad got me this CamelBak (a hydration back pack that can carry up to 1 Liter of water) I have yet to use. Those who plan on taking running seriously (or even biking and hiking) should invest in one of these; they're handy and lightweight. They probably sell them in outdoor specialty stores around the country, like at R.O.X. in Bonifacio High Street, Taguig. 


The use of plastic is inevitable, I know, especially since it's become a staple in our everyday lives. I won't go the extent of preaching that we shouldn't use it at all, since that would be hypocritical of me. I'm saying we should at least dispose of our trash wisely. Reduce, reuse, recycle, my friends. Bring bayongs or canvas bags to carry your groceries after shopping. Re-use plastic bottles as containers for things like left-over laundry powder and whatnot. Throw trash in their proper bins: if it says Nabubulok and you put plastic in it, then you should probably consider throwing your brain in as well. Trash cans were made for a reason; the world sure isn't one SO STOP THROWING YOUR SH*T AROUND.


If you're thinking of ways on how to reuse your junk, here are sites with awesome ideas:

1)  The Daily Green: 10 Ways to Reuse Plastic Bottles

2) Earth911.com: 8 Ways and Whys to Reuse Plastic

3) Squidoo: 50 Things You Can Reuse

4) Recycling Guide

5) Pantanggal stress lang, for all you Catnatics out there


The end of the world may come sooner than we know it, all thanks to us. Kaya, sana gumising na tayo! Time to give Momma Nature some detox lovin'!


Peace!

No comments: